Where did the year go? It’s hard to believe that 2016 is going to be nothing but a passing memory in a couple of months. But chances are you have more than a few loose ends to tie up before 2017 arrives.
Not sure what we’re referring to? Here are some clues:
- If you’ve met your medical insurance deductible for the year, consider making some doctor’s appointments soon to address things you might have put off because of the added expense.
- On a related note, if you have a flexible spending account, check the balance to see if there’s any money remaining. And evaluate whether you’re putting too little or too much in the account, then make adjustments for next year.
- Is benefits enrollment time coming up where you work? If so, carefully review what benefits you have and check whether any premium increases are on the horizon. If you’re anticipating a jump in price, consider making some adjustments in coverage to offset the increase.
- Do you still have vacation time and/or personal days hanging out there? If you have a use-or-lose policy at work, then you probably should schedule some days off soon. Or you may be among the lucky ones who can roll over a week’s worth of vacation into the next year. Of course, if you have more than a week, plan now to squeeze those extra days in during the next two months.
- If you have a 401(k) retirement account, think about increasing your contributions before the end of the year.
- Now’s a good time to take inventory of your cold-weather clothes. Do you have items that are worn out or just don’t fit anymore? Are you looking for some new styles? If you have stuff that’s still in good shape, donate it to your nearest shelter.
- Are you in line for a year-end bonus? If you already know how much it will be, you can start making plans now on how to spend it. From a summer vacation to paying off bills, you probably have plenty of options to consider.
- Assess your holiday decoration needs. Replace any decorations that are broken or worn out. And look for sales on new ones – they usually pop up around this time of year.
- Speaking of the holidays, have you prepared a gift-giving list? Now’s a great time to get a handle on who wants what and just how much you can afford to spend this year.